Widely used in everyday life, grapefruit peel is also used as a raw material for many important remedies. With miraculous uses in the field of beauty and health, not everyone understands about it. So how does grapefruit peel really work, how to use it? Let’s find out more information through the article below.
Table of Contents
Basic information about grapefruit peel
Grapefruit peel is the outer part of a grapefruit belonging to the citrus family. Its scientific name is Citrus Maxima. With its great advantages, this shell has become an indispensable ingredient for many remedies and precious dishes.
Characteristics of grapefruit peel
The green outer layer of a grapefruit is the peel. They contain a lot of nutrients that are beneficial to health, and in the beauty of women. Depending on the type of grapefruit, the peel will be either smooth or rough. Normally when a grapefruit is green, the peel will be green and ripe will be yellow.
The taste of grapefruit peel
According to traditional medicine the peel of this fruit is normal, the taste is slightly bitter, spicy and fragrant. They are widely used in folk remedies. Also thanks to this wonderful taste of grapefruit peel that many people have used grapefruit pulp for cooking and healing.
Chemical composition of grapefruit peel
In this shell contains many essential oils and many different chemical components. Specifically:
- 26% xitrala and esters,
- Yeast peroxydases,
- Ramnoza sugar,
- Vitamin A, C,
Collection and preservation
To process grapefruit peel , you need to first harvest the grapefruit. Normally, people will collect grapefruit when it is ripe and in the dry season to make it sweet. The harvest of grapefruit most takes place from 10-11 lunar calendar.
If not harvested earlier, the grapefruit will drop and when the shell is processed, the skin will not be beautiful and easily rot. So to properly harvest grapefruit, climb the tree and use a pregnant pole to pick grapefruit.
How to preserve this peel is very simple, after processing and separating the intestines from the grapefruit. Bring the pulp including the peel to dry in the sun. Then close into bags and use gradually.
The effect of grapefruit peel
Here are some of the amazing effects that the peel of this fruit has.
- Smooth hair and excellent hair care: With a high content of essential oils, this shell can effectively nourish and take care of hair. So many people have cooked water with grapefruit to wash their hair to prevent hair loss and smooth hair.
- Treatment of bad breath: The content of essential oils and vitamin C in grapefruit can help treat bad breath effectively. Rinse your mouth every day with this water, you can completely eliminate the odor and regain a fresh breath.
- Skin beauty: Currently there are many skin beauty products, acne treatment from grapefruit essential oil. Made entirely from nature so many women have chosen this safe ingredient. Grapefruit peel can reduce the rate of wrinkles as well as help smooth skin, brighten skin.
- Cough, hoarseness treatment: The symptoms of cough with phlegm, dry cough or dry sound can all be resolved with grapefruit peel. Whenever the weather changes or the erratic sunshine and rain cause you to cough, do not rush to take medicine. Instead, use grapefruit peel instead. You can use either fresh or dry rind to use.
- The effect of lowering blood fat: The amount of essential oils and active ingredients in the peel of grapefruit can provide very good antioxidant capabilities. Moreover, Flavonoid compounds also work to help protect liver, bile and strengthen human blood vessels. That is why, many remedies for blood fat lowering are composed of grapefruit peel.
- Effects on weight loss: According to many studies the chemical ingredients extracted from grapefruit can help women lose weight very well. By boiling grapefruit peel water and drinking it every time you wake up. Combined with exercise as well as proper diet, your weight will quickly be controlled.
Healing remedies from grapefruit peel
As a medicine and an easy-to-find ingredient in life, take advantage of grapefruit peel with the following remedies:
A remedy for morning sickness
The phenomenon of morning sickness often occurs in most pregnant mothers in the early stages of pregnancy. However, depending on the location of each person, the degree of morning sickness will occur differently. But in general they both bring unpleasant feelings to the mother. Instead of tired and depressed, pregnant mothers can refer to the treatment of morning sickness with grapefruit peel as follows.
- Wash 15g fresh or dried pomelo peel.
- Put grapefruit peel in a pot and boil with 300ml.
- Simmer until the pot is 150ml.
After boiling, pregnant mothers can use them to drink instead of water every day. Drink 3 times a day before eating, so as not to feel nauseous and fast. In addition, pregnant mothers can also use grapefruit pulp to make jam during pregnancy to limit nausea.
A remedy for diarrhea
If you have bloating, diarrhea due to eating unsafe foods, use a remedy with the following grapefruit peel to improve the condition.
- Grapefruit peel to wash clean.
- Peel off the green outer crust.
- Slice each piece and bring to boil.
- Take off the boiled pomelo pulp and place it in a glass jar.
- Soak the sugar with grapefruit pulp for about 1 week.
After a week of soaking in grapefruit juice, take the water and use it for 5 consecutive days. Indigestion symptoms will go away completely.
Remedy for constipation
Constipation is very common in people who eat less vegetables or eat a lot of foods high in protein. Food that is indigestible when entering the body causes constipation. To handle this situation you can take advantage of the grapefruit peel to deal with it.
How to do :
- Prepare 12g grapefruit peel.
- Cook water with grapefruit peel and drink several times a day.
- After 1 time of use, constipation will disappear.
Many people have used grapefruit citrus to treat alcohol, but not only grapefruit citrus fruit but also grapefruit peel when processed also has this effect. You just need to brake the water with dried grapefruit peel to drink like tea, the drunk will quickly be repelled.
- Dry the fresh grapefruit peel.
- Boil water, then add dried pomelo peel to make tea.
- Use the same amount of ginger or sugar to make it easier to drink.
Detoxify seafood allergy
Allergies to seafood are not uncommon in the present era. Symptoms such as nausea, rash, … will be relieved if you use grapefruit peel.
- Boil the grapefruit peel with water.
- Take the grapefruit shrimp and boil with grapefruit peel and rock sugar within 1 hour.
- Turn off the heat when the mixture is golden.
- Mix with honey and store in a glass jar.
When someone has a mild seafood allergy , take a little of the above mixture and mix with hot water. For severe allergies, please refer the patient to a medical facility for diagnosis.
Treatment of cough with phlegm
To treat a cough with phlegm, do the following:
- 10g grapefruit peel.
- 10g diameter or alum.
- Cut the shell into thin fibers then rinse with water.
- Steam the grapefruit peel and sugar in a small bowl.
Cough patients with phlegm regularly use the above water to treat cough and phlegm. For high results use 3-5 days.
Treat fatty liver
As introduced, grapefruit peel is very effective for treating fatty liver disease. So to prevent disease as well as improve the above condition you can completely cook young grapefruit juice.
How to do with fresh grapefruit peel:
- Separate the pulp of the grapefruit and the skin.
- Boil water at a ratio of 1: 3 for daily drinking water.
How to do with dried grapefruit peel:
- Dry the grapefruit peel for easy storage.
- Every time you use, just take a small pinch of tea and brake the tea to drink.
Use hair loss treatment
Grapefruit essential oil is very effective for alleviating hair loss, conditioning hair. Thanks to the content of vitamin A and vitamin C, many women have used grapefruit peel to cook shampoo.
- Boil the grapefruit peel with water.
- Boil for about 15 minutes until the grapefruit extract is evenly absorbed in the water.
- Let it cool and wash your hair with the water above.
To be effective, use grapefruit juice to wash your hair every 3-4 weeks. Not only anti-hair loss, the fragrance of grapefruit will help you feel even more comfortable.
Note when using grapefruit peel
To bring high efficiency when using, you need to note a few things:
- Only select grapefruit with rough skin to use. Because these grapefruit will have more nutrients.
- Do not use grapefruit peel containing pesticides to use.
- To preserve and dry the grapefruit peel, shave off the white pulp inside the grapefruit peel.
- Only use the outer green bark for hair loss remedies.
- During shell processing, you should soak in dilute salt water to remove impurities and dirt.
So with the above information, we hope you will have more useful information about this precious and familiar medicine. Make use of and regularly use grapefruit peel to treat simple diseases in life. If you still have questions related to the article, please leave a comment for answers.